29 February 2016

Book Review: Tomorrow is a Long Time by Tabitha Vohn

I made this review somewhere last year, but upon browsing through my reviews files on GoodReads, I thought it would be nice to share it here as well.

Tabitha Vohn is an author I admire a lot. Besides being an excellent person, she is a teacher and her books and ideas have great depth and some special mood you won't find anywhere else. I don't know how to describe it quite well, but all I can say is that... Her words make you think.

Tomorrow is a Long Time - Synopsis

Cal Morrison is a Midwestern farmboy who was thrust into fame during the Old Hollywood era. Now, at eighty-five, he sees his life as wreckage. At the mere age of twenty-four, Eileen has seemingly little in common with Cal, except that she fell in love with him on screen.

When Cal and Eileen meet by chance, she discovers that her feelings for him are not without merit, and he sees in her a chance for true love and, more importantly, for redemption.

A controversial experiment offers the key to them both. With the help of a German scientist, Eileen will enter Cal’s memory and, together, the two will create an alternate reality within the realm of dreams. Replacing the memory of his first wife (his leading lady in his most controversial film, The Last Tomorrow), Eileen will step into the 1960’s and discover whether love can exist between her and Cal, and whether loving him unconditionally will be powerful enough to alter the course of his destructive future.

But there is one thing that neither has fully considered: what happens once they wake?

Tomorrow is a Long Time asks the question of how powerful one person’s influence can be in our lives, the lengths we go to for love, and whether it is worth it.

My review - 5  out of 5 stars

This is going to be a difficult review... Well, because Tabitha Vohn has written such a terrific story, with such complexity, that I won’t be able to write about all the nuances and details I would like to as much as I would like to.

This is one of those stories which can have different meanings for different readers. Some may focus on the romance between Cal and Eileen, others on the scientific possibilities and outcomes explored in the plot, others on the subplots and film intertwined in the story… I see the story divided into different lines and I enjoyed every and each one of them. I can relate to the characters and their emotions, feel empathy – thought on a personal note, I can’t connect with them due to a very different mentality and ways of seeing life.

I indulged myself on the questions the story brings about, such as love between people of very different ages, virtual love/dream-love (?), marriage between people who don’t love each other, insubstantial relationships, love ideals, rights and wrongs according to the rules of our society. The nice thing is that some of these questions are presented through different points of views. I didn’t pick any sides, though.

I also enjoyed how the characters grew during the plot and became better, more seasoned and wise, even though Eileen could have been pushed even further by the end.

Overall, the book has a beautiful melancholic tone. Tabitha is a master in building mood for her stories, taking the reader on a subtle and unique emotional experience. Tomorrow is a Long Time is an intelligent read, crossover between genre and literary fiction, very recommended for those who are curious about Life, Love and Science.

By the way, I’d like to finish mentioning the movie script Tabitha added as subplot. It really captured the feel of the 60’s cinema and if she ever publishes that script fully and as independent work, I’d like to be among the first ones to read it! That would indeed, do a fantastic feature film. (Hint! Hint!)

An amazing story. Amazing premise.

Visit Tabitha Vohn's website: tabithavohn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts ^.^